Rife with history and elegance.
FoundingFollowing the Civil War, the majority of social clubs in Kansas City were pro-Confederate. Seeking a place to gather and enjoy after-dinner cigars, a group of Kansas City businessmen and professionals (including several notable figures such as Edward Allen, Leander Talbott, William Warner, Robert Van Horn and more) organized the Kansas City Club in November of 1882.
The group would meet at Kersey Coate's hotel at 10th and Broadway regularly until moving to a dedicated space 6 years later.
ClubhouseIn 1888, after 6 years at the Kersey Coate's hotel at 10th and Broadway, the group relocated to their first official space - a brick building at the corner of 12th and Wyandotte.
This building would serve as the club's primary meeting place for the next 24 years as the club continued to grow and establish itself as a notable collective within the Kansas City community.
ExpansionAfter 24 years at the corner of 12th and Wyandotte, having amassed over 600 members, the club began construction on a dedicated building at the corner of 13th and Baltimore Avenue.
Designed by Kansas City architect Charles Smith, the new clubhouse would span 14 stories and include a dining hall, banquet hall, multiple bars, meeting rooms, athletic facilities, an indoor pool, six floors of guest suites and a rooftop terrace.
MergerIn 2001, the Kansas City club merged with the University Club, a 100+ year old club located at 9th and Baltimore Avenue. The Kansas City Club purchased the University Club's facilities and merged the two groups of members together.
The club would continue to operate at its 9th and Baltimore location until its closure in 2015.
New LifeShortly after the club's closing, Epoch Developments undertook an extensive renovation of the building, modernizing the infrastructure, HVAC, and A/V systems. Painstaking detailing and plaster craftsmanship was applied to every aspect of the facility. This work was done without using historic tax credits or any city-based incentives so that the character could be improved without oversight. At completion the owners then donated the facades and airspace to the Landmark Commission preserving the volume and integrity in perpetuity.
Today the venerable Kansas City Club hosts a variety of private events in a number of venue spaces from the large University and Crystal Ballrooms to the more comfortable Hearth Room with restored working fireplace. Four floors of restored elegance and enlightenment.